skipnav { text-align: left; } .skipnav a { position: absolute; left: -10000px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; } .skipnav a:focus, .skipnav a:active { position: static; left: 0; width: auto; height: auto; overflow: visible; text-decoration: underline; }
Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

Housing Grievance Resources

Tenants Union  

The Tenants Union fights to create housing justice through advocacy, organizing, leadership development, education, and outreach.  


Housing Justice Project, Skagit County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyer Program 

The Skagit County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyer Program provides free legal assistance to low-income renters in Skagit County. Call CLEAR for an intake and referral, at 1 (888) 201-1014, Monday through Friday, from 9:15 AM to 12:15 PM. 

Fair Housing Services, King County Office of Civil Rights – Discrimination Complaint 

Follow the link below to learn how to file a discrimination complaint with the King County Office of Civil Rights.  

City of Tacoma, Landlord-Tenant Program 

The Landlord-Tenant program provides information and referrals to landlords and tenants to resolve disputes that arise under the Washington State Residential Landlord-Tenant Act. This service is free and can be accessed by property owners, property managers, and tenants living in Tacoma.  

Washington State Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) – Housing Assistance 

This Washington State Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) page provides information about housing assistance programs, cash assistance, and available assisted living facilities.  

Yakima Office of Neighborhood Development Services – Housing Programs 

The Yakima office of Neighborhood Development Services provides grants for qualified, low-income, people with disabilities to help them pay for home repairs and painting.  

Washington State Human Rights Commission – Fair Housing 

The Washington State Human Rights Commission (WSHRC) enforces the Washington Law Against Discrimination, which prohibits disability discrimination in housing. The website linked below provides information for housing professionals, homeowners, and renters on disability and reasonable accommodations related topics. The WSHRC also investigates complaints of housing discrimination. 

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development – Discrimination Complaint 

Follow the link below for information filing a discrimination complaint with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). 

Solid Ground 

Solid Ground provides counseling in fields related to tenants, mortgages, reverse mortgages, and transitional housing, along with providing rental assistance and educational programming.  

Seattle Office for Civil Rights – Discrimination Complaint 

Follow the link below for information on filing a discrimination complaint with the Seattle Office for Civil Rights. 

Home Foreclosure Legal Aid Project 

The Home Foreclosure Legal Aid Project was created by the Northwest Justice Project and the Washington State Bar Association to provide free legal assistance to low- and moderate-income homeowners.  

Northwest Fair Housing Alliance 

The Northwest Fair Housing Alliance website provides information about reasonable accommodations, service animals, housing design and construction, and fair lending.  

Housing Justice Project, Thurston County Volunteer Legal Services 

Thurston County Volunteer Legal Services is a volunteer-based program that provides legal assistance to low-income renters operates this volunteer-based program that serves low-income renters. The Housing Justice Project also operates a legal clinic for low-income renters experiencing tenant-landlord issues who have not been threatened with eviction. 

Housing Justice Project, Tacoma-Pierce County 

The Tacoma-Pierce County Housing Justice Project is a volunteer clinic that provides legal advice to low-income tenants.  

Housing Justice Project, Snohomish County Legal Services 

Snohomish County Legal Services’ Housing Justice Project assists low-income people facing eviction who are vulnerable to becoming homeless. This is a volunteer-based program that provides legal assistance and advice for issues related to eviction, housing benefits, show cause hearings, and negotiations with landlords.  

Housing Justice Project, Kitsap Legal Services 

The Kitsap Legal Services Housing Justice Project helps residential tenants who live in Kitsap County and are facing eviction. This is a volunteer-based program, where attorneys can provide legal advice, help draft paperwork, negotiate with landlords, and represent clients at eviction hearings.  

Housing Justice Project, King County Bar Association 

The King County Bar Association, Housing Justice Project is a volunteer-based legal clinic that provides free legal services to tenants in King County who are facing eviction. The volunteer attorneys may provide advice, negotiate with landlords, or represent tenants in eviction hearings.  

For information in Spanish, call (206) 267-7090. 

Foreclosure Fairness Program, Washington State Department of Commerce 

The Department of Commerce, the Foreclosure Fairness Program provides free housing counseling, legal aid in civil matters, and foreclosure mediation.  

Call 1 (877) 894-HOME(4663) to speak to a foreclosure prevention counselor for free

Fair Housing Services, King County Office of Civil Rights 

The King County Office of Civil Rights investigates complaints of violations of the King County Fair Housing Ordinance. This ordinance prohibits disability discrimination in the rental, sale, or financing of housing.   

Fair Housing Center of Washington 

The Fair Housing Center of Washington investigates complaints of housing discrimination and helps people with disabilities through the processes of applying for reasonable accommodations and modifications in rental housing. works to address and prevent housing discrimination in western and central Washington. The Fair Housing Center’s website provides educational materials covering topics such as reasonable accommodations and modifications, service animals, fair housing, tenant-on-tenant harassment, and information for filing a complaint.  

HUDVet – United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), Veteran Information 

The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development’s (HUD’s) HUDVet program facilitates collaboration among Federal agencies and veteran-serving organizations to ensure access to housing programs for veterans. 

  • WACDA's Facebook Page
  • WACDA's Twitter Page
Universal Sign of Accessibility with an arrow pointing to a cellphone

This website was last updated July 2020

©2019 by Washington Civil and Disability Advocate. Proudly created with